Gluten-free, paleo and free from refined sugars: the best chocolate chip cookie recipe you’ll ever find!
Unfortunately, the traditional kind are loaded with flours, sugars and other processed nasties required to make them taste like the yummy, irresistible (and addictive) treat we know we ‘shouldn’t’ be eating. And no one EVER eats just one…
So if you think a ‘healthy’ chocolate chip cookie recipe sounds too good to be true, you’re very much in luck coz I’m about to share with you the best one I have ever tried! Making ‘healthy’ versions of favourites (as you’ll see from reading my blog) is always possible, you just need the right ingredients! 😉
I believe the more ‘practice’ you give your palette at trying new flavours, the less you end up craving the processed crap. I NEVER thought I’d be able to get through a day without craving (and having….) sugar, it was only when I substituted certain aspects of my diet with others that were more helpful, that my tastes changed. And you have my word that yours will too.
On to the recipe! Many of my personal trainer clients and Boot camp attendees are mums, who believe they have little to no time. Which is why this recipe is such a winner, as not only does it take under 20 minutes but it’s 100% child-friendly (both the baking AND eating parts!)
The chocolate chips I used are Steenbergs Organic Chocolate Drops, which are free from dairy and soy (and available on Amazon!) The recipe does contain egg, but can be made vegan by replacing the egg with egg-replacer. Enjoy and as always, let me know what you think!
- 1 large organic egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup organic coconut oil (melted)
- ¼ cup sugavida powder
- ¼ cup organic almond flour
- ¼ cup organic tigernut flour
- ¼ cup organic coconut flour
- ½ tsp organic baking powder
- Handful Steenbergs organic chocolate drops
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix together the egg, vanilla extract, sugavida and coconut oil in a large bowl.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, tigernut flour and baking powder to the egg mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop tablespoons of the cookie dough onto the baking tray and gently flatten with your fingers.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes or until edges have turned slightly golden brown.
- Cool on the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
- The tigernut flour and sugavida are both available on amazon.co.uk