A quick gluten-free breakfast addition - no flour needed!
Yes you read that right! I never thought it would be possible to make English muffins without using gluten-free flour, so these bad boys are an absolute dream!
Because they are Paleo-freindly (aka grain-free) they can, unlike grain-based foods, easily be combined with other protein-rich breakfast items such as organic eggs, smoked salmon or some organic smashed avocado. Or if you share similar tastes to my husband and I - all of the above!! 😆
There is also the option of adding some ceylon cinnamon and a teaspoon of organic coconut nectar to the mixture, if you wanted to make a sweet version. These go beautifully with a cup of ginger or cinnamon tea!
When they are ready, they will present themselves as fluffy and soft but I recommend toasting them if you want that traditional English muffin texture. They can also be frozen and will keep for up to a month (make sure you slice them in half first as this makes defrosting and toasting far easier!)
I have included the two methods of cooking them, depending on how much time you have and whether or not you own a microwave (we don't and haven't for a number of years!)
Yes there is something particularly satisfying about removing your creations from the oven, with the smell of fresh baking filling your kitchen - but if you prefer to microwave in this instance, no one's judging you in the slightest 😉 After all, you have chosen to make an upgraded healthy version of a classically unhealthy breakfast favourite - so it's win win all round!
Enjoy! Gen x
- 1 cup almond flour
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pink himalayean sea salt
- 4 organic eggs
- 2 tablespoon organic coconut oil (melted) plus extra for greasing
- 6 tablespoons water
- For baking: preheat oven to 200C
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a small bowl and whisk.
- Add the remaining wet ingredients and whisk again.
- Grease a muffin baking tray with coconut oil and divide the mixture between compartments
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool before slicing in half and toasting
- Grease a microwave proof ramekin with the coconut oil
- Transfer the mixture into a ramekin
- Microwave for 2 minutes on med/high.
- Remove from the ramekin (it should just slide out) and allow to cool before slicing in half and toasting
- For sweet muffins, add 2 teaspoons ceylon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon organic coconut nectar to the mixture