This is the BEST banana bread I have EVER tried: 100% gluten, dairy and nut free and contains no refined sugar. Read on to see why it doesn't need any...
I certainly cannot take all the credit for it however, as my gratitude goes to the beautiful Gemma of Wild Health Jersey for sharing her recipe with me (which is what this one is based on!)
Gemma's banana bread changed my life and introduced me to one of my new favourite ingredients: Tigernut flour!
Yes Tigernuts are not actually a nut, but a naturally gluten-free nutritional powerhouse that have a naturally sweet flavour - meaning you can either use far less sweetener or omit it altogether!
A few more benefits of Tigernuts:
- they have a high nonsoluble fibre content, which helps diabetics to regulate their blood sugar levels
- they are rich in potassium, which is very useful in lowering blood pressure
- they contain the very important enzymes amylase, lipase, and catalase which help aid digestion
- their high fibre content assists in clearing out the colon
So that's why I encourage you to try this recipe asap!
The sweetness of the Tigernuts combined with the ripe bananas may not require the use of any further sweetener.
However, if your palette isn't quite there yet you can include a small handful of organic pitted dates (as per the original recipe) or alternatively a tablespoon of my new favourite sweetener made from Monkfruit, called Lakanto Golden (available on Amazon).
This amazing sugar substitute is non GMO, zero calories and zero glycemic - so it's safe for the diabetics and contains no nasties!
Anyway, on to the recipe! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and please let me know your thoughts once you've baked it!
And thank you again to Gemma for bringing Tigernuts into my life! x
The simplest tastiest banana bread ever that's also 100% gluten, dairy, nut and refined sugar free
- 3 organic ripe bananas (the riper the better)
- 1 cup organic tigernut flour
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 2 organic eggs* *if vegan, use egg replacer or flax eggs
- 1 heaped tbspn organic coconut oil
- 1 handful organic pitted dates (optional)
- 1 tbspn Lakanto gold sweetener (optional)
Preheat oven to 180
Combine all ingredients (except the dates if using) in a blender
If using dates, mix in and pour mixture into a loaf tin lined with parchment paper
Bake for 25-35min until the top is golden and a knife comes out clean once inserted
Allow to cool and enjoy!
*If vegan, eggs can be replaced with flax eggs or egg replacer